Wednesday, February 10, 2016

And the nickname is "Baby Taj" ...


Itimad-ud-Daulah is the tomb built to honor Mumtaz Mahal's grandfather, Mizra Ghiyas Beg.  He was the Chief Minister (wazir) to Shah Jahan's father, Emperor Jehangir.

The "Baby Taj" is thought to be the inspiration for the Taj Mahal.  It is smaller and it has very intricate marble carvings and marble lattice screens (jali)


What can you see through the screen?


Here is Dr. Antón, taking the picture -- look at the details!
Did you notice that I am barefoot.  In some temples shoes are not allowed.  Some places you also need to cover your head. It is important to follow and respect the rules for each place you visit. Sometimes this is hard if you don't know ahead what they are.  In India, people will help you help you figure out what is the expectation for each place.

Below are some close up examples of the fancy marble work. It makes me want to try my hand at design.  
Can you think of a type of American art work (and bed covering) that is like these?  






I think Itimad-ud-Daulah is about the most beautiful building that I have ever seen!  I was really surprised that I hadn't heard of it before. I am learning that there is ALWAYS more to see.




No comments:

Post a Comment